Our Church was established 81 years ago in the
ministry of the Lord. Our church has a memorable history which has seen
four generations of members and a number of pastors.
The pioneering work of the church commenced as early as
1928 in the Seletar Naval base. Pioneered as a house church it came
under the supervision of the Rev.J.A.Supramaniam and his co-workers
Mr.V.Devasagayam, Mr.A.Athisayam and Mr.V.Chelliah. The church started
to grow as many Indians came from India employed by the Naval Base were
By the grace of the Lord the church was insitituited in
1934 with Rev.V.A.Chelliah giving supervision to the church. The lay
Preacher Mr.V.Devasagayam was appointed as the supply pastor. Finally
in 1940 through the efforts of Rev.J.V.Ayadurai and
Rev.S.M.Thevathasen, a school building was erected at 150, Jalan
Sembawang Kechil and worshipped there form 1948- 1970. The
Rev.V.Chellam was appointed as the principal of the Tamil School and
the supply Pastor to the congregation. Students from the TTC such as Ms
Jannet Chinniah, Mr. Joseph Devasagayam and Mr.E.J.Thoraisingam also
served the the church for some time
At this time a significant change of name from
‘Selatar Naval Base’ to ‘Sembawang Naval Base’
took place.moreover due to poor enrolment, the school had to close its
In 1970, Rev.R.Prabu Das Roberts became the pastor of the church. In
1972, the church lay leader,Mr. T Mariadass, Mr. Bob Sanddon of the
ministry of defenceof the Chaplain, Rev.Mackenzie worked out a schedule
for the congregation to worship at St.Andrew’s Church at the
Admiralty Road East.
In 1974, Rev.J. Daniel took on the pastoral charge of the church while
Mr.Philip jesudass served the church as the supply pastor for some
time. Rev.William F.Harris succeeded as the pastor in charge in the
circuit including marsiling works . In 1980 Rev. Martin Alphonse took
charge. The old school building was renovated and the congregation
moved back once again to 150, Jalan Sembawang Kechil.
In July 1983, rev Dr. E.J.Thoraisingam took on the
pastoral charge. After which the following pastor let the church Rev.
Premkumar (1985-1986), Rev.Vinson Samuel (1987-1989) Rev. Milton
Lazarus (1990-1993), Rev.Philip S.Abraham (Sep 1993-1999), Rev.Ebinesar
Mahan (2000-2003).Rev. Philip Abraham was re-appointed back to the
church in 2004.
In Feb 1992, the HDB offered Sembawang Tamil Methodist
Church and Smyrna Assembly a church site at Yishun St 11 in a joint
allocation basis. The land was purchased and the new church began to
take shape. The ground breaking ceremony took place on 17 May 1997 at
5.30pm. The congregation moved out from 150, Jlan Sembawang Kechil on
31st December1995 to Yishun St 11 and worshipped in a 30ft container
for worship from 1st January 1996. Later as it could not hold the
congregation, a structure was erected on the same place to worship.
Later due to the progress of the church building, it moved to
Boys’ Brigade Camp site at Sembawang Road from 1st Feb 1998 to
25th July 1999 for worship services. Later the church moved to the new
church premises at Yishun St 11 on 1st Aug 1999. Praise be to God!
The New Church Building was officially dedicated to the glory of God by
the Bishop Dr. Robert Solomon of The Methodist in Singapore on the 29th